Thursday, May 8, 2008

Care for a Wounded Brother


I have been fighting for wellness lately. I hate to be sick but my body could not perform what my will dictates. I have to pamper myself with extra sleep and cancel some appointments. I planned to just stay home today, but the more hours I spent at home the more idle and sickly I became. So I decided that I am going to go out and make my day productive.
Since part of my schedule was to join the live broadcast of "young lives" at DXFE, I went there with great expectancy. It would be another opportunity to exercise soul-care on air. The program is designed to give opportunities for the listeners to share their problems, ask for advices and request for prayers through text messages, web messenger and telephone calls. This is hosted by Pastor Alan Bacus known as "Pastor Love" (Christian version of Dr. Love). He was given that name because the issues raised by the listeners revolve mostly around love and relationships.

There were many interesting and hard issues shared in todays episode. But the one that really moved my heart was the text message of a younger brother who was deeply concerned about his older step brother's traumatic condition. He relayed that when his brother was nine years old, his father was murdered right before his eyes. His brother now is already 24 years old but have not been happy of his existence. He hated life, people and probably God.

I sensed the inner desire of the younger brother to help his older brother but he feels helpless about the situation. He feels the pain and desperation as he sees his brother's traumatic condition. He is seeking, looking and praying for the right solution.

I sounded like I know what the solution is but in the real sense I know it's going to be hard. I wished there were people who helped him process his emotion. I wished there were people who assured him that his reaction was a normal reaction to an abnormal situation. I wished there were people who could have journeyed with him towards wholistic transformation.

I felt the intensity of his pain but I also felt the hope springing up from my heart when I reflected upon the deep love of his younger brother. We could never underestimate the power of one soul caregiver to facilitate healing to a wounded brother. It may not be today, but who knows it could be tomorrow? We just have to keep loving, hoping and believing that our Almighty Soul-care giver is always and forever be our Healer.

I made the right choice to step out from the house today. After all, my little body pain is not worth comparing to the pain of those who listened to us on air today. My day then was totally productive. I would say that I had a soul-care experience on air that left an indelible mark of my existence.

1 comment:

Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

This afternoon, I received a text message from our listener who shared the problem about her traumatized brother. I thought she was a he, but she's a she. I found out that i mistakably assume that she was a brother because it was not communicated clearly in her text message during our program yesterday. However, I felt so glad that she contacted me and asked for opinion on how she could help her brother. Please pray that we could do something about it. Thanks