Friday, May 9, 2008

When Opportunity Knocks


I was in deep sleep when suddenly I was awaken by the sound of the telephone ringing downstairs. I tried to ignore the call because I didn't want to get up from my bed yet. I was also hoping that at least one of my housemates was still around and would answer the phone . But the ringing didn't stop, so I force myself to get up, get down and pick up the phone. I said hello in a monotonous voice but the voice on the other line seems familiar. It was my brother from Cebu City. I was surprised by his call because he didn't even know our house number. I was more worried than excited when I realized that it was him. It wasn't that I didn't want him to call, it was because when he calls, he would either inform me that he is in trouble or he needs me to do  some errands for him. I wasn't ready then to entertain either of my two assumptions. 

However, I was still so polite to ask him how he was and what could I do for him. To that he responded with openness. He started to share his encounter with God last night. He has been asking for my prayer and opinion regarding his job preference. He prayed for a job here in Davao so he could establish his spiritual vitality. God then opened the door for him. However he was still in confusion because he was clouded with big opportunities in Cebu. I told him once that he has to make it sure if those were really opportunities from the Lord. That could be a trap from Satan. In all our previous conversations I made it clear that I can never decide for him. I can only pray that he would hear God's voice, obey God's will, and follow God's direction. 

Amazingly, God did met him last night in his Bible reading. In his tone, he sounded positive, convinced  and confident of God's direction. The confusion was gone because he had his truth encounter. Finally, he would be coming back here in Davao soon. 

As I listened to him, my heart was leaping with joy because in my heart I want my brother to be here. But more than that, I am excited on how the Lord would continue to cause him to hear His voice, believe on His provision and walk in His direction.

My drowsiness then was over. I was ready to face the day with enthusiasm. I think if I didn't force myself to answer the phone I could have missed the chance to hear and share with my brother's reveling of God's goodness. I could have missed the opportunity to receive the amazing reward of  soul-care giving. 

So when your phone rings in the time you less expect it, make your best not to care less. Sometimes opportunities knock not in the time we expect it, not in the place we want it to take place and not through the people we imagine could best give it.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's exciting news!
Pamela

Anonymous said...

We'll be waiting for kuya elmo... so excited to see u again.. :)