Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Startling Reality


I was watching my favorite TV show when my housemate arrived in a state of sorrow. I didn't pay much attention because I was trying to relax and enjoy the show. After all, whatever he might be going through, I'm sure we could talk about it tomorrow.

However, his first statement was so startling; "naa kuy nalabyan nadung-gaban nga bata kuy, diha lang sa gawas. Nagtawag naku ug 911" (I passed by a child who was stabbed outside. I already called 911). He then continued to describe the incident with deep dismay and sympathy for the innocent child's deadly condition. I looked at him and I started to listen.

Upon hearing the siren of 911 coming, he went outside to see how things were going. When he saw the crowd of people coming and the police who were rescuing, he then went home with a tone of sadness in his voice and a trace of disappointment in his face. 

I felt guilty that I didn't show the full intensity of my concern and care for what he was sharing. So I offered him a cup of coffee and I had a chance to let him share his feeling and reflection on what he had just seen. We ended up realizing that both of us were fearful of not knowing what to do when faced with a fatal situation like that. Not that we are not willing to help, but we just don't know how to help. However I commend him for his genuine initiative to call 911 for the rescue. He could have just shrug his shoulders and wish for others to do it.

It saddened us to reflect on the reality of what's happening outside our own safe world. What we have seen portrayed on the movies before, what we've read and heard on the headlines everyday had taken place right before the eyes of my housemate 10 steps away from home.

We didn't have a chance to follow up on the child's condition. We only hope and  pray that he can still recover. However, the incident had given us a new sense of mission to start  in deliberately engaging on what's beyond our comfort zone. It made us realized that truly, it's not just enough to talk and pray for blessings and protection.We need to begin to act upon our christian profession-to show love in action!

I may have missed to completely enjoy my favorite show tonight, but I'm glad that I didn't miss the opportunity to show love to my own housemate. A cup of coffee, a listening ear and an open heart-these are what it take for a start!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya,

I heard the child didn't make it to live. He has bad records of theft, etc. according to neighbors.