Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Love Across the Distance


Today, I had a nice chat with my friend who is also a fellow help provider. I told her about my new found adventure in the blogging arena. She just commented, "maayo [that's good]". I was expecting her to keep up with my excitement but instead she started to ask questions about my LDR (Long Distance Relationship). That was exciting too but that was not the thing I wanted to talk about at that time. Nevertheless, I entertained her point of interest and poignantly told her that she's back in Canada now. That's when she started to share how difficult it is to maintain a long distance relationship because she is currently into it. 

"You're not scaring me, are you?", I calmly commented on the messenger. She actually was ready to type a disclaimer that she's not scaring me. She was just trying to prepare me. She then shared her experiences and gave some advices on how I could keep the woman assured that I still love her and she still the one. I ended up pressing her to share more. It was evident in her descriptions that it was indeed difficult. But I admired her strength to honestly admit it wasn't easy. 

"Yes, it's not going to be easy. I have a lot of hard works to do." that's what I told myself. But wait, isn't it that more than our hard work, God's work would ultimately bring us to our destiny? I'm not trying to minimize the importance of my role to make the relationship work. I'm just trying to highlight God's role in making the relationship works regardless of distance. I'm not implying that It's not going to be difficult for us, I'm declaring that no matter how difficult may it be, because we believe it's God who brought us together we would endure it together with Him.

The challenge now is striking the balance between my faith and my work. I  think I already have enough faith on this matter. What I really need is to be generous of myself to demonstrate love, to practice honesty and to live with expectancy of knowing her more,discovering her being and appreciating her beauty inside and out.

We ended our chat with the exchange of "thank you" and "goodbye". My heart was filled with joy because someone who has been in the race ahead of me was willing to share her experience not only because she wanted me to learn from it but also because she sees me as someone who can identify with it and understands her journey.

I am convinced, It feels good to do soul-care but it even feels good to receive care for your soul. I just had one. I hope you will have yours as well. Practice mutual soul-care today!




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

dhrey, i've been into it and I failed but that doesn't mean you will also fail but i think that would really depend on both sides. It should be two to tango, love is not enough if trust will be gone.

Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

Hi. thanks for your comment...may i know hu is this? hehe

Anonymous said...

"I'm declaring that no matter how difficult may it be, because we believe it's God who brought us together we would endure it together with Him."

Amen to this dhrey..maka relate ko ana..hehehe..--Kendon

Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

tama don...kalimot ko long distance man pud diay mo...hehe

Anonymous said...

hi drey..

annabelle here.. thoughts on LDR... distance does make a lot of difference but i think its more on how the two of you are committed to each other and how you want to make it happen. The greatest challenge really is when you are missing the person and that letters, chatting, talking on the phone doesnt really help. Yes there will be times that you find yourself crying out of ka mingaw or times when you needed him or her and that he or she is not around. Thats one challenges of LDR. The bottom line still is having patience in your current set up. Know that soon you will be both together.. guess what is needed as well is to communicate well what you really feel and think....

enjoy!

Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

thanks bell!

Anonymous said...

I have not experienced having long distance relationship, you know, hehe. So what shall I say??? I'm sure God did not allow you to have that relationship without His full provision...

Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

thanks for reminding me that france..hehe

Anonymous said...

kuya dhrey,

actually you knew na i can relate about this topic...hehehe...well based on my experience, its hard to have LDL especially kung one sided lng...and plus hard points pa gyud kay dili xa christian...for 9 months mi together but wala gyud nagwork...hehehe...dili gyud xa GOd given sa ako...kung nagcontinue ko atoh...probably Mrs. nko karon...hehehe....wala gyud koy pinagsisihan sa akong desisyoneh na dili na gyud mi pwede...But it doesnt mean na wla nagwork sa ako, dili pud magwork sa imo...if God given na xa na relationship...it will last forever...God bless sa inyo kuya..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

Thanks for sharing faith...by the way I've changed the title to this blog to "Love Across the Distance" from "Practicing Mutual Soul Care". It described the content of the blog more clearly..hehe...thank you all for your comments

Anonymous said...

thanks for leading me to your blogsite dhrey! it's an honor! :)
i enjoy reading your posts and i enjoy learning from them too!
About LDR, just let God always be with You, He will truly take care to you both.