Monday, June 2, 2008

The Gift of Silence



I'm in the library while writing this blog today. It's not totally silent here. I can hear the sound of the air-con. I can overhear other people's conversation. But at least there's a certain silence that makes me feel relax, peaceful and restful (it's a good place to sleep! I'm yawning now. hehe).

However, there's a kind of silence that's not dependent on the noise outside. It's an inward silence. We may call it the silence of the mind or the silence of the heart. I would want to describe my mind and heart today as silent. I don't even know if my description is right. When I thought about what to write on the blog, I could not think of anything. When I searched my heart for a magical feeling, until now my heart is still resting.

I'm not an alien to this kind of silence. But for the past three weeks, I realized that my mind was so engaged with life's twists and realities. My heart was so captivated with the differing emotions propelled by my reflections and contemplations. 

I like to think that my life was in constant motion. My body was at rest but my mind is filled with notions. My blog had become my pre occupation. It makes my heart wander, sometimes far away.

But today, I started to enjoy the gift of silence. My mind is at peace. My heart is at rest. My body is relaxing. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libraries are rarely silent places and my personal philosophy is that they shouldn't be. Respectful - yes ; a place of refuge - yes ; quiet - maybe...but not silent. Silence indicates nothingness and that in itself can be overpowering. But when you are able to find rest in the midst of "life's twists and realities" that is so precious. I'm glad you were able to discover that today.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Nice! I always encourage my self that ones in a while, i will be going to have this so-called "reflection". To rest my heart, my body and especially my mind!!! I always think! I thought for the future(???)! my current situition, the wellness of my family, my job, my career and many other things.My mind occupied all these things. I also plan to spend time with God even half of an hour only. yet, i can't do it when opportunity comes(saturdays). I chose to spend my 12 hours vacant time chatting with my friends, texting and watching movies until i noticed that im tired to have extra(?)time for reflection--where silence (peace of mind, resting heart and relaxed body)is enjoyed to the most. Ganjj

Anonymous said...

in God there is always peace...in GOd all things is in the right tract...everything is with the purpose...i wanted to share this song that i just wrote late this morning..hope it will encourage and will also be the prayer of anybody who can read this...

i want to write a long song to You GOd..A song of praise and worship to Your Name...but my heart is asleep and needs to be awaken..for it needs Your tender hands to touch it...and so i write...

CRY OF MY HEART

Awaken me, fill me, form me my GOd
Show me the way and lead me
FOr I dont know where to go

Consume me, remind me, renew me every single day
Open my eyes and open my heart
So i can see what's inside

Forgive me Lord, take away
Every sin and hindrances
To YOur planned ways

Chorus:
YOu are my GOd, I am YOur servant
I am willing to give you ALL
YOu are my GOd, I am YOur servant
Use me mightily
YOu are my GOd, I am YOur servant YOu owns everything in me

Yes YOu owns everything,everything in me...
This is the cry of my heart...

Adrian A. Bontuyan. said...

Hi faith,
thanks so much for posting comments and sharing your song to God. Can't wait to hear you singing it...hehe. Indeed God is the giver of peace that surpasses all understanding and that will guard our hearts.